Today I visited LGP Print in Leeds. I had previously organised to come in today and have my work printed whilst I was there, in case anything went wrong and needed changing. Organising to go in was easy and straight forward and it made me thankful for going in first year/second year when I did, as I feel as though I have now built up a connection which I can continue to use when I am working in the graphic design industry or wherever I end up.
Phil took me to have a look at the different stock choices. I took some samples with me which are photographed below:
Below are the questions I asked Phil on the phone prior to visiting LGP. I have underlined all of the answers. I was really glad that I was able to speak to him before sending the work to them, as I was able to ask all of the necessary questions to make sure it would be successful.
When he suggested that I could print on carton board I was really pleased, as he referred to it as being similar to a cereal box, so I knew it would be sturdy and able to hold a substantial weight, which is what I need for the pasta to be able to sit inside of it.
When I arrived, I spoke to Phil about what I needed printing exactly. I had already had a phone conversation with him when I asked him lots of questions regarding materials and stock, but it was important for me to reiterate this when I saw him, as I was able to have a closer look at the stock and decide whether it was suitable before sending the job to print.
It was really helpful having my print outs as a reference, as I was able to tell him what I needed doing with each design by looking at them in physical form.
This is Phil showing me the carton board which he had told me about on the phone. When I saw it I was really pleased with the texture, how it had a coated finish on one side and un coated on the other. I asked him whether it would be easier for me to print the front and back separately and then stick them together, he said it would probably be fine to do that as long as I can be as precise as possible when cutting them both out.
He then talked me through the different types of adhesive stock they have for me to be able to print my labels on. One sample had more of a sheen that the other which had more of a matte finish. I asked whether it would be possible to run some samples off on both and then make a decision before printing the final ones.
After choosing the stock, it was then cut down to size so that it could be fed through the printer.
We then went back upstairs to the office, where Jonathan asked me for the files and started to lay them out in Illustrator ready to be converted to PDF and then printed.
When the measurer had been printed, Phil wanted to check the colour against the brand guidelines. This is because the mock up I had printed out in uni had come out looking quite orange. I explained that the printer will have made it look quite different and that I was happy with the outcome of his print job. Then we sent the rest to print.
Once the labels had been printed, I noticed that the pasta was visible inside the bowl. This was really surprising, as I had filled the bowl with black on Illustrator, so nobody could understand why this had happened. I opened the original file and cropped the bottom of the pasta so that it wouldn't be an issue, and then it was fine.
Below are the outcomes of the labels for both the front and back of the pasta packaging. The first image illustrates the difference between the matte finish and the coated finish. I decided to use the coated finish in the end as I felt as though it looked much more professional.