Wednesday 17 December 2014

OUGD601 - Context of Practice 3: Pasta Packaging Research

Below I have posted some pasta packaging which I find inspiring. There are quite a range of examples, but I thought it would be appropriate to research into the existing products first, before designing my pasta measurer. I love the more intricate designs, but based on Love Food Hate Waste's branding, I feel as though it would be more appropriate to keep the design as minimal and clear as possible, as opposed to making it overly complicated and illustrative. This is something I can experiment with when it comes to designing. 

I love the idea of designing a resealable sticker for pasta, as I think it is an important feature to have, to maintain the freshness of the product inside. 


I also came across this packaging below, with the cut out windows. I love the idea, but again feel as though this would be too detailed for what I am doing and it wouldn't meet the requirements of the brief as well as the product.


This is a close up shot of one of these designs. I could take inspiration from this and instead of making the pasta measurer as intricate as this, simply use the silhouette of the pasta to illustrate it. I could apply this idea across a range of different types of pasta too. 


I did a quick search to see whether it would be possible for me to buy pasta in a plain plastic bag. I didn't have much luck because most of them are branded. I decided that I would most probably have to go into a supermarket, buy some pasta and then re brand it instead.


I really like the illustrations on this design. I like the hand rendered feel they have and would love to apply this feature to my design too. I think I am going to experiment with drawing different types of pasta out by hand to see if I reach the desired effect this way. 


This packaging is much more traditional. Although the designs are quite garish and bold, they do have strong branding and an individual aesthetic.


I love how the pasta illustrations have been used in this example to create a pattern on the clear plastic bag. This is something I would usually do, as I tend to add feminine touches to my work a lot of the time. But in this case, it probably won't be relevant and applicable. I find that this is something I am getting more and more used to, as this is what it will be like when I graduate and work for a variety of different clients who each require a different outcome with a different tone of voice. 


I have always loved this spaghetti packaging. It is such a simple yet effective idea. I love the simplicity of the box and sometimes think less is more. 


This packaging is lovely and is an example of a design which I could reproduce. I love the little scoops attached to the lids. I could apply this idea by attaching the pasta measure in the form of a scoop hanging from the handle. 


This is a fun and memorable pasta packaging design. If I was concentrating on the design of the bag of pasta primarily, I could design something similar to this, however my attention is on the form of the pasta measurer as this will be the tool to reduce food and packaging waste, linking directly to my essay.



Another example of a simple yet effective design. After seeing this as well as some of the previous ideas, it has definitely inspired me to experiment with some hand rendered illustrations. 


I found this example and it reminded me straight away of the spaghetti measure which Love Food Hate Waste already use. I love the idea of combining the measuring tool with the packaging of the product itself. 


I came across this hand mouldable plastic when I was researching into whether it would be possible for me to create my own form to work with. I was quite tempted to buy some and have a play with it to create some prototypes, but after watching videos I realised that the outcomes wouldn't exactly be accurate so it wouldn't be worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment