Wednesday 17 September 2014

OUGD601 - Context of Practice 3: Liverpool Business Exhibition

During the Summer holidays I went to the Liverpool Business Exhibition. It was an opportunity to network and meet new people, and there were events on such as speed networking as well as different inspirational talks on how to be successful at what you do. There were lots of different businesses there, some more relevant to me than others. One of them in particular was the Bakestone bread stand. I spoke to the lady there and asked her whether she could give me any information regarding bread and bread waste but unfortunately she was only commissioned to work for the day and didn't have much knowledge about the brand. She did however give me a catalogue with all of their products in which may come in useful in the future. 

Another important thing I noticed from the day was the fact that she was giving everyone she spoke to, two loaves of bread for free. At the end of the day however, Bakestone, along with the likes of Costco, both had food left over which they were trying to give away. We were all talking amongst ourselves saying that we won't get through the two loaves nevermind anymore than that.

This then got me thinking about food waste in general and made me want to research further into it. When I was speaking to the man who was running the Costco stand, I asked him what happens to all of the food that goes out of date or is going out of date and whether the employees are given it for free. He explained to me that they don't give it away for free because it would decrease sales. I feel as though this is a key point to note down and perhaps talk about in my essay, as it is a growing concern that the importance of profit and money is more important that overcoming the growing concern of waste.


No comments:

Post a Comment