Tuesday 29 April 2014

OUGD501 - Context of Practice: Studio Brief 2 (College Group Crit)

I thought that by now we would have had a progress crit in uni, however because we haven't had one, a group of us took it upon ourselves to organise one and give each person some contructive feedback. As my idea has changed so much with time I explained all of the possible outcomes I have thought of, and then allowed everyone to give their opinions.

I focused mainly on developing an idea to represent Kimberly-Clark and their ethical values where sustainability is concerned. This is something which I have explained on my blog when I wrote about the synthesis of my primary research and my final concept. 

Idea I presented:

Create a memo pad/paper dispenser taking inspiration from Kleenex and Andrex tissue products by reproducing the format and functionality of them. The memo pad would be designed for new employees at Kimberly-Clark who are settling in to their new job. Each piece of paper would have a different quote taken from the Kimberly-Clark website, or my essay, to communicate a different message each time a note needs to be written. I would include roughly the right amount for one piece of paper to be used each day during the first month of employment. The product would also be reusable, as this is something which all of Kimberly-Clark's brands are trying their best to put into practice.

I asked the following questions:

  • Do you think that I should present the paper inside a box, each piece already separated and easy to remove when the lid of the box is lifted?
  • Does it have a strong enough connection with my essay in terms of synthesis?

Feedback I received:

All of the feedback I received was extremely helpful as I felt as though I needed reassurance before progressing further with my idea. Sarah suggested that I should make the box so that all of the paper can be removed in the same way as tissues are (through a slit on the top of the box). This is something which I had mentioned and considered in the explanation of my work but I was unsure whether I was over complicating my idea. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it could be simplified to be straight forward. I was also unsure whether to create notes which could be removed from a pocked sized packet of tissues. However, the feedback I received was to continue with the idea of the box. It was also suggested that I should experiment with perforating the paper so that it represents toilet roll, and this way, once a note is needed, it can be torn off and used. Everyone thought that the idea I had come up with was suitable to answer the brief so I am feeling quite a lot more confident now with the idea. Below are some of the rough drawings which Grace and I drew out when we were discussing all of my ideas.






No comments:

Post a Comment