Monday 28 April 2014

OUGD501 - Context of Practice: Essay Presentation

I have decided that I would like to present my essay in a more interesting way, than simply printing it out and handing it in. I would like the aesthetic of it to mirror the subjects included within my essay. I have therefore started to think about how I could produce it in an ethical or sustainable way. I am aware that no matter what I do, it will never be 100% sustainable, but there are ways around trying to be as close to 100% as I can. 

When I was carrying out my research for Studio Brief 2, I thought a lot about how packaging should/could be stripped back to the basics a lot of the time, to save a lot of money as well as damage to the environment. Within my essay I have written about Kimberly-Clark and how they recognise that 'unfortunately, packaging reduction projects completed in 2012 were largely offset by increases in some corrugated box weights, changes in product mix to more packaging-intensive smaller-count packages, and increased bag weights to enhance on-shelf product-quality perception and reduce product damage.' This has therefore made me think about how I could possibly portray my essay in a way that relates strongly to the essay itself and the content, without over complicating things. 

I am aware that Paperchase sell a lot of recycled paper and boxes, so this is something I am strongly considering. I could present my essay in a variety of different ways, using the following resources and materials:

Option 1

Print my essay out on recycled stock and then hole punch the paper so that it can be stored and protected in this recycled ring binder.



Option 2

Take the quote from Kimberly-Clark (mentioned above):

'unfortunately, packaging reduction projects completed in 2012 were largely offset by increases in some corrugated box weights, changes in product mix to more packaging-intensive smaller-count packages, and increased bag weights to enhance on-shelf product-quality perception and reduce product damage.'

...and print my essay out on A4 recycled paper but fold it up so that it fits inside on this box. I would do this to portray the idea that reduction in packaging can also reduce environmental impact. I could print out a quote taken from my essay to communicate this idea and attach it to the green band around the box as a label, to almost suggest that what it inside it a product in itself (my essay).

I also like the fact that the box has a green band around it and also a green interior to portray the idea of sustainability and being eco-friendly. 


Option 3

I could keep the idea as simple as possible, print my essay out on recycled stock and place it inside of this container in the form of loose sheets. By leaving it unbound, I can illustrate the minimal use of materials and explain how the box is used to keep everything in order and so binding isn't necessary.


Below is the recycled stock which I have printed on before now, and I know that the results are high enough quality. I would like my essay to have an almost 'unfinished' and rustic feel to it so that it doesn't look polished, as this will get the message across that simple packaging can be just as effective and more sustainable and ethical. 


No comments:

Post a Comment