Saturday 15 February 2014

OUGD505 - Design Practice 2: Study Task 2 (Overview)

Following on from Study Task 1, this part of the brief is extremely important as we have to present our findings in an interesting way. Ideally I would like to try and gather as much first hand information from people who study Autism on a daily basis, as it would be almost impossible for me to teach myself everything I would need to know, for the information to be factually correct. Therefore I am going to continue to carry out more primary research in this field whilst at the same time carry out some visual primary and secondary research to be able to bring it all together at the end.

Underlying Concept

There is a lot that I still need to research and I will be continually adding to the first study task in order for my work to make sense. The underlying concept running throughout my work is the idea of making my publication sensory, this will follow all the way throughout this brief so that there is a consistency. A lot of the work and ideas I looked at initially at the start of this brief, including the PECS research I carried out, was solely based on creating a visual and appealing learning aid/experience for those who need extra support. When speaking to Emma I was made aware of just how much Autistic children love to play with certain properties of toys (for example spinning a wheel continuously on a toy car) and this had led me to the stage I am at now. 

The publication I am going to be designing will not only be interesting to read, as it will be informative and educational, but it will also have something about it which is a bit different, allowing the user to interact with it. At the moment I am unsure about the audience for my publication, as I understand that it is simply a way of presenting our findings to help us with the next study task. The publication I design is going to be very factual and I want it to be as easy to understand as possible. No matter what work is produced there is always going to be an audience, and in this case it will be tutor's. However I would like to think that this publication would have more of a meaning and purpose and could perhaps act as a learning tool for parents who have children with autism.

Primary and Secondary Research Topics

I am going to explore the different ways in which I could present the information at a later date, but for now I am going to start looking at existing packaging for books. We have been asked to consider primary and secondary research and choosing a topic for each. I have decided that my primary research will be of editorial and publishing, and my secondary research will consist of any packaging and promotion I come across. 

No comments:

Post a Comment