Sunday 1 December 2013

OUGD503 - Design Process: Responsive (Initial Research)

I like how simple this design is. It ties in well with the rest of the Moleskine products and I could definitely take inspiration from this for my Fedrigoni calendar, as I feel as though their brand is very sophisticated and would suit this style very well.

moleskine desk calendar

Source


I love how simple this is as well, and could definitely see myself designing something similar, although I don't think it has the 'wow' factor really. I think the idea of presented the dates in a circular format works well in this example but I'm not sure it would be relevant for Fedrigoni.

TYPE - 2014 Letterpress Desk Calendar - iSkelter

Source

I would love to create a calendar which is representative of a pantone swatch booklet. Although I am not sure how original this is as I think it will have been done time and time again. This would be one way of displaying all of the different types of Woodstock though and making it all about the paper as opposed to the way in which it is printed.


Source

This reminds me very much of my PPP product at the end of last year, as I packaged myself using boxes in a very similar way. I think this is really clever and compact, as it wouldn't take up a lot of room on someone's desk which is ideal. I could definitely take inspiration from this and create something which fits together in some way, perhaps to spell out the word Fedrigoni or represent Fedrigoni in some way.







Source

This calendar design is very simple, separating the days up in to three different pieces of paper, having the day of the week as one, the month, and then the date itself. This could potentially work, however it would have to be thought out well enough to be able to use all of the stock in an ordered manner.


i ADORE this letterpress perpetual desk calendar from Orange Beautiful. Unfortunately it's discontinued :( | $24

Source

I chose to blog this example purely because I like how they have altered the shape of the paper slightly by simply cutting in to the corners. The text is centred and I think the negative space around the edge works really well to draw the eye to the dates. Although I need to consider whether or not I am wanting my audience to focus on the dates or the stock more, I think there needs to be a balance of the two.

sugar paper desk calendar

Source

This is a really unique way of organising a calendar. Placing all of the stock in to a box would allow the audience to feel the stock every day and be able to take the paper away from their desk to use wherever they require it. I think this could potentially work really well as long as it doesn't get too complicated in terms of craft. 


Perpetual Desk Calendar (Vintage paper cards)


Source

Once again this is a very different way of displaying a calendar, but obviously in this case it isn't a desk calendar. I do however think it is important that I look at a wide variety of examples to try and get as much inspiration as possible. Otherwise I am only limiting my options.

2014 Calendar by Gingiber

Source

This is a really unique and memorable concept. I would love to create something similar to this whereby the audience would perhaps tear off a piece of paper along a perforated edge and gradually reveal a piece of stock which is secured underneath, with the Fedrigoni branding on it for example.

The class of the teacher Valentina: ADVENT CALENDAR 2

Source

This has the same underlying concept, with the idea of the user tearing the pieces of paper away as the days go on. I think this would be perfect for Fedrigoni, however I would have to make sure that the stock wasn't damaged at all in the process. 






Source

This is a calendar which I can imagine on a lot of people desk's as it looks neat, clean and wouldn't get in the way. I think all of these things are key when designing a desk calendar, as nobody wants something which takes over their desk and leaves them with no space to do their work. I also love how it is packaged to start with in a really high quality box, and the print is very organised and easy to read.
















Source

This is probably the most successful example I have found so far during my research. I would absolutely love to create something as simple and inspiring as this. The way the paper has been laser cut to create such a memorable set of designs is so clever. I could even try and incorporate the history of Fedrigoni and how they have established themselves over the years somehow. 


Source

This is a calendar I really love and wish I had come up with myself! I think the concept is brilliant and it is most certainly different to any I have come across before now. Although it wouldn't be appropriate for Fedrigoni I could certainly take inspiration. The calendar itself is stored inside the wardrobe and each of the months have an image to represent the clothing for each of the seasons. 


Source

The main element of this design which I liked was the built in stand. I really love the idea of incorporating the function to enable it to stand without having to rely on any other material but paper. This would be perfect for Fedrigoni, and once again would simply be all about the art of paper as opposed to print.


ashion desk calendar - interchangeable

Source

Although not directly related to Fedrigoni, this example could inspire me to create a three dimensional desk calendar which would represent Fedrigoni. For example it could simply form a shape with 12 sides to it which each has the different dates on and the ability to stand up on its own by relying on the form and the shape. 




This example illustrates how the designer has created all of the individual shapes, photographed them, and then used a different one to represent each of the months. I could easily take this concept and develop my own which is more relevant. 



This is such a fun and creative idea. I really love it and this it would be perfect for children to understand dates and months. It isn't something I could use for this brief, as the only way I could apply this concept would be to use different pieces of paper which perhaps fold outwards or lift to reveal the date, I think this would be too complicated though and not everyone would use it.



Certainly not appropriate, but I thought this was such an inventive idea. It would never be used for Fedrigoni as the paper would be lost so it would be pointless. However I have posted this just to illustrate the extent to which I could go to in order to create something really different and imaginative.



This concept is very thoughtful and allows the user to interact just enough without damaging the stock at all, as all they need to do it replace the piece of paper inside the slot to then reveal a completely different month. I would love to experiment with this idea but in a more simplified manner. 







This would be another way of creating a desk calendar which is self contained and doesn't need any other material other than the Wood stock to help it to stand in place. I like how all of the different months can also be removed from the stand, allowing the user to interact once again with the stock. 










No comments:

Post a Comment