Monday 18 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design Production: Design For Print (GF Smith Talk)

This morning we had a talk by GFSmith which was really interesting. I learnt a lot about stock and found all of the examples shown during the presentation very inspiring. I wrote some notes which I will follow up with some further research as a lot of it relating closely to the idea I have for design for print at the moment. 

Independent British Paper Company

  • Business cards
  • Letterheads
  • Packaging
  • Brochures
  • Envelopes
  • Calendars
  • Etc
They make 1 million handmade envelopes a year.


1. Colorplan
  • Flagship range
  • 50 colours
  • 8 weights
  • 25 embossed textures
  • Lake District
Use stock which is coloured to avoid the colour on the edge showing through. 

Berkeley - Blog branding

Made Thought - Look on site (folded interestingly)


2. Smooths
  • Pentagram booklet
  • Good printer, paper and design leads to success
  • Design by Studio Maghill - Research Naturalis
  • Tear to open

3. Textures
  • Leather look paper
  • Experiment with paper in the centre to form the book
  • The paper looks like wood

Beauty in the making - Showcase GFSmith

We had a chance to look closely at some printed materials and I photographed them:



















































































I then had a conversation at the end of the seminar and asked whether they used recycled papers. He then directed me to the area in one of the books where the recycled paper is listed. I also asked if there are specific printers in Leeds which they work with as I am interested in using them in the future. I was particularly impressed with the paper that looks like wood as I feel it represents eco friendly design well.

No comments:

Post a Comment