Monday 11 February 2013

OUGD406 - Design is about doing: Jessie Ware

For this brief I have decided to design the vinyl cover for Jessie Ware. I have listened to the song whilst researching and thought it would be appropriate to find the lyrics so that I could work alongside them and keep referring back to them. The song is quite upbeat and repetitive and also conveys the idea that Jessie Ware has insecurities within her relationship or past relationship.

"Still Love Me"

[Verse]
See it in your eyes,
See it in your face
In your look, see it in you
If I make myself understood.
Will you treat me like you know you should?!
Uuuh uh

[Chorus]
Still love me, still love me
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me.

[Verse]
See, it’s been a while
Looking through your eyes
I was taken in, taken by surprise.
Why did you want me, why’d you stayed so close?
You’re still not leaving?
Was I enough?
If I make myself understood.
Will you treat me like you know you should?!
Uuuh uh

[Chorus]
Still love me, still love me
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me.
Still love me, still love me.
Do you love, do you
Do you love ,do you love,
Do you still love me.

[Verse]
You’re the one that’s more easy to adore
I don’t ever have to leave if you still want me.
If I make myself understood.
Will you treat me like you know you should?!

[Chorus]
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me.
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me.
(Do you love me?)
Still love me, still love me.
Do you love me?
Still love me, still love me.
Do you, do you, do you love me?
Still love me, still love me.
(If I make myself understood.)
Still love me, still love me.
Will you treat me like you know you should?!
Still love me, still love me.
Still love me, still love me.
Still love me, still love me.
If I make myself understood.
Still love me, still love me.
Will you treat me like you know you should?!
Still love me, still love me.
Do you love me?
Still love me.
 
Source
 
June 30, 2012
 
THE VOICE:
JESSIE WARE
 
Starting out providing the soulful vocals that added depth to some of 2011’s most popular underground electronic tracks –Jessie Ware has gone from supporting act to leading lady. Her album (released in August) is one of the most eagerly anticipated of the year.
 
 
Describe your sound?
Romantic, feminine, electronic in parts, and hopefully soulful.
 
Style Icon?
My stylist and I are obsessed with Elizabeth Taylor. She’s really feminine and glamorous – that’s always a winner. Also Sophia Loren’s is so sexy – I definitely tried to channel her in the first two videos.
 
First record you ever bought?
It was Take That – I was obsessed with them. Maybe like Everything Changes or Take That and Party. I was in love with Robbie Williams when I was little. I cried at one of his concerts when I was about thirteen. I think I fancy Gary Barlow more now.
 
Last record?
Melody Gardot, Beautiful.
 
Ultimate Music Icon?
Sade. She’s sophisticate and she doesn’t throw herself at you. You can listen to her songs in a club, and then there are her forlorn songs. And she has amazing style she’s a real class act.
 
Whose wardrobe would you raid?
I’m going to say Bianca Jagger. Because like in my last video I wore this white blazer, and felt really Bianca in it. I love blazers –they make me feel strong and because I’m still really nervous about being on stage, somehow tailoring makes me feel more powerful.
 
Favorite designers?
Dolce & Gabanna and Erdem because they are so feminine. Dominic Jones is a friend of mine and I love his jewelry.
 
Favorite film?
Brief Encounter. I’m such a romantic, and it’s beautiful and it’s sad, so sad. I recently saw a production in the West End, and it was by my favourite production company called ‘Knee High’ and even that was amazing.
 
Ultimate duet partner?
Frank Sinatra, because he’s sexy and he’s got the best timing.
 
  

Jessie Ware is Stepping Out of the Shadows


Written bySophie Wilkinson
Posted 27/09/2012
 
Jessie Ware's debut album, Devotion, is a passionate, contemporary reimagining of soul and funk with a Mercury Award nomination. Inspired by "a few divas" - Sade, Chaka Khan, Grace Jones and Prince - Jessie isn't as flamboyant on stage as the latter three. Yet. "I'm just finding my feet with it. I'm thinking in my head 'When in doubt, just don't say anything', I try and be as calm and sophisticated as possible."

Her wardrobe, assisted by stylist Avigail Collins, coheres with this mantra. Referencing "Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Monica Bellucci and Annie Lennox", it's classic. "Black, cream and white" are her colours, teamed with glimmers of androgyny, an Yves Saint Laurent tuxedo blazer for example. Tailoring, gold earrings, "big hoops, I always have hoops, loads of hoops, a really good shirt" and a neat black up-do are Jessie's staples. Again, she has a mantra to guide her, "At the back of my mind I always want my mum to be happy with what I'm wearing. And I want it to look sophisticated and look timeless," she says.

 
Jessie Ware is Stepping Out of the Shadows (1) 545X819

Jessie wears Antipodium Shirt, Vintage YSL jacket and earrings DJ by Dominic Jones

Jessie doesn't dawdle in nostalgia though, if she had to align herself with any sort of musical movement, it'd be with SBTRKT, James Blake and Sampha. "There was this exciting time of soul combined with electronic music and I feel like they all do that really well. So that's what I've tried to do - I'd like to be in their gang!"

Nonchalantly mentioning that she never reads her reviews, wouldn't that rely on the exposure she seems so wary of? "I'm really appreciative that people have been reviewing the album and that they've been rather generous about it, but I just…" She sighs. "I just think you can get completely obsessed by it, and I don't want to obsess over that".

So how does Jessie Ware react to seeing posters of herself on hoardings, bridges and phone-boxes? "There was a picture of me for our track 110% and I took a picture of me with the picture." She mimes taking a photo of herself and laughs, slamming her bangled hands down on the table. "I looked so butters compared to the picture that I couldn't post it! I was like, URGH!"

This is the self-effacing thing that Jessie supposedly does so well. Previous interviews have painted her as a reluctant sort who's effortlessly segued from journalism into music, prodded along by mates who've seen her potential, like a kind of inner-London Little Voice.

 
Jessie Ware is Stepping Out of the Shadows (2) 545x734

Jessie wears Antipodium Shirt, Vintage YSL jacket and earrings DJ by Dominic Jones

But when asked if her lack of showiness means she's not as ambitious as other musicians, she looks stung. "I am ambitious, you know. I've got a really strong work ethic that I got from my parents and the people that I've been surrounded by. Everyone that I know works hard."

The woman who once raged: "I can play big on my own" over Joker's thumping dubstep track The Vision continues, "With my voice, I've realised that there is something quite powerful that can be achieved by holding back and showing restraint," she says. "I can sing. I can belt. But on a record, I want people to listen to it and get lost in it".

With an assertive smile, her delicate nose-ring sparkling, she adds, "I am definitely ambitious, but I'm not going to shit on everyone to get there."

Photography by Andrew Woffinden

Styling by Mischa Notcutt

Hair & Make-up by Samantha Parker
 
 
Her strong silky vocals are carving out a niche in the British music industry, and her powerfully feminine image is landing Jessie Ware firmly on our style radar. We quiz the singer on her wardrobe secrets.
 
Jessie Ware
 
What’s the last fashion item you bought?
An Acne shirt.
 
How would you describe your personal style?
Smart and with a bit of tailoring and comfort.
 
What’s the latest label you’ve discovered?
Haider Ackerman - some seriously good tailoring.
 
What is there too much of in your wardrobe?
Black
 
What are your go-to labels?
Theory - they do the best shirts and I love how each shirt has a little detail that makes it not just any old shirt. Equipment have such wicked stuff and I never fail wearing Sandro, their coats are amazing and I feel great in their clothes. I also have fallen in love with Helmut Lang.
 
What are you happiest wearing?
My American Apparel jodhpurs and with a good shirt and Penelope Chilvers slippers and some big hoops!
 
What’s the most treasured item in your wardrobe?
My YSL tuxedo blazer or my Miu Miu coat.
 
What have you done for the love of fashion?
Worn 7 inch Miu Miu heels all day whilst out and about in Paris. It was hard work but I got through it for the love of Miu Miu.
 
What’s your sartorial guilty pleasure?
Cheap and huge hoop earrings
 
How do you get ready for an event like the Mercuries?
I don't know! I have never been to an awards show! I will have my lovely stylist there and she will make me all excited! My hair and make-up artists have done this many times, so they are always reassuring and make me feel like a princess.
 
British female artists are having a real moment – how does it feel to be part of such an exciting time?
I love it that there are loads of great singers out there, and it feels good to be a part of it.
 
What's playing on your iPod this week?
Quadron - Pressure
Marvin Gaye - I want You
Miguel - Adorn 
 
 
 

Girl Of The Moment Jessie Ware Talks To Grazia About Fashion, Music And Her Mercury Prize Nomination


Jessie Ware
 
What does it take to become the music scene’s most exciting rising star? A top five debut album and Mercury Prize nomination? Sure. Sitting FROW at London Fashion Week? Oh yes! Jessie Ware ticks every box. Even as she releases the fourth single Night Light from her album Devotion, she’s attracting buzz for her distinctive voice.
Not bad considering this time last year Jessie was a backing singer to best friend Jack Penate, finding the highly competitive music industry daunting. ‘I think I was a bit shy of it,’ Jessie tells Grazia. ‘I had inspiration from experiences in my life, growing up in South London, but didn’t necessarily know how to channel it until then.
Jack helped bring it out in me. He introduced me to his producer Dave Okumu who helped bring out my writing and when I knew that was what I wanted to do, Jack let me come on tour with him. When we were writing, Dave always said just trust yourself, this is all about you.”’
 
Jessie Ware Devotion
 
Jessie Ware's debut album, Devotion, entered the charts at No 5 in August
 
A year on, Jessie is more at ease with the songwriting process. ‘I’m still learning though. Some days I’ll have ideas, bring them to a session and they just won’t work. Then there are songs that just come quickly, like Sweet Talk and Wildest Moments which took just nine months to write. I’ve gone with my gut the whole time and I’ve made an album I’m really proud of.’
She should be. Jessie’s music, a dramatic hybrid of 80s synth, 90s R‘n’B and modern electro, is subtle yet powerful, and a refreshing antidote to the in-your-face Europop trend. Haunting Running has a definite nod to vintage Whitney Houston whilst 110% has a hint of euphoric drum n bass that’s reminiscent of Shola Ama.
It’s not just the music world that’s crushing on Jessie; her sleek, androgynous Lisa Stansfield-meets-Gloria Estefan image is catching the eyes of designers. ‘Armani sent me a tailored suit, which I’ll keep forever,’ she says. ‘I’m living in Rupert Sanderson shoes, Theory jodhpurs and love D&G. They’re good for curvaceous women - really sexy and feminine.
'I’m learning about fashion and what suits me,' she continued. 'I would never have shown my stomach before I met my stylist Avigail Collins, but she’s put me in crop tops!’
Unsurprisingly, London Fashion Week appearances have followed. ‘At Jonathan Sanders Daisy Lowe yanked my arm and said, “Come on you’re sitting next to me.” She is the sweetest person in the world!’
 
Jessie Ware and Daisy Lowe at LFW
Jessie Ware and Daisy Lowe at LFW
 
But still Jessie can't quite get to grips with this sudden rise to fame. ‘It's mad,’ she says. ‘I went to Belgium and Poland recently and fans asked for my autograph. People are interested in me; it's bizarre! I definitely don’t consider myself famous. Although one guy came up to me recently and said, “Has anyone ever told you, you look like Jessie Ware?”’
 
Source
 

How do you pack for a tour?
 
Avigail Claire my stylist, is amazing. We plan my tour outfits and go through everything. She knows what I like, and what I feel comfortable in. I wear a lot of black – it’s flattering and I know it works for me. I wear these velvet Topshop trousers, and lots of crop tops. I have all my ‘work’ clothes with me her in LA, so I’m making an effort everyday here. I don’t have any of my usual schmatta.
Sometimes people lend me stuff – Dolce & Gabbana have been very good to me. But I like really simple stuff. So I have some staple blazers; this Escada blazer that actually belongs to Avi. Last night I was wearing Jaeger. But mostly it’s ASOS and Topshop – you can’t expect designers to lend you stuff that you’re going to sweat it out in every night. For me, it’s more important that we have a strong visual aesthetic of strong, clean lines. And you can achieve that with quite simple pieces.
I was never a fashion person, but I’ve been given the chance to wear really beautiful clothes and learn more about great new designers. I never really took it seriously, and I don’t take it too seriously now. But I do give a shit that I look nice for the audience that has paid to come and see me. I want to make an effort like I would if I went out to dinner with somebody. That’s just the person I’ve been brought up to be.
 
Source



No comments:

Post a Comment