Sunday 13 January 2013

OUGD405 - Research, Collect, Communicate: Product (Change of Idea - Development: Pet Travel Kit)


I have decided against the idea of designing a pet passport. This is because I feel that it would have been hard to replicate a passport which is already existing, especially as I would have to make sure it was all legally correct. Having done lots of research it proved to be harder than expected to find all of the relevant information I would need. I also felt that I wouldn't be achieving much by redesigning an already existing pet passport because it often isn't really looked at in detail and so the design aspect isn't really that important.

I have therefore decided that I am going to look at designing a pet travel kit instead. I am going to look at the following things to aid my design process:

  • Primary research - Ask pet owners what they take away with them for their pets
  • Secondary research - Look at more packaging designs
  • Explore different ways of printing and decide the route I will take
  • Look at sticker closure designs
  • Consider whether or not I am going to put my company name on there depending on whether the business would have a wide range of products or simply just focuses on a pet travel kit
Primary research

1. What do you take on holiday with you for your pet?
 
2. Do you think it would be beneficial to have a travel kit which you could reuse to keep everything together?

My research in response to these questions was positive, as many pet owners said they would find a travel kit useful. There were also certain objects which all of them said would be taken away with them and would be useful on a trip away. Such as treats, food, poo bags and medication. I think I will therefore create labels for each of these things but I will also have another think as to whether to include a variety of labels to fulfil everyone's needs.

Secondary research

As I have already found a lot of pet packaging examples on the internet I have a lot I can work with and get inspiration from. However I feel it would help me to look at a more broader range of packaging which doesn't necessarily relate to dogs, as I can decide on colours and content before starting the design process.

Fabien Barral is a designer I particularly love. His work is very corporate and professional and I feel that I could take a lot of inspiration from his ideas and his blog where he collects all of the designs he finds inspiring himself.

I absolutely love the concept behind this idea. I feel that I could apply a similar idea to my work by producing stickers which could be applied to different boxes depending on what the owner wanted to store and take away with them.

White studio via www.mr-cup.com

White studio via www.mr-cup.com

White studio via www.mr-cup.com

White studio via www.mr-cup.com

White studio via www.mr-cup.com


I chose to blog this packaging because it reflects the ideas I have in my mind in terms of the colour scheme I may use.  think the brown with white labels on top works really well, or even black stickers. I am also considering using clear stickers on plain brown paper or card as I think this has a certain unique and inviting quality about it. As long as it reflects the product I am wanting to produce then I think it would be quite successful. When choosing the packaging for all of the different products within the travel kit I am going to carefully choose the shape of the box and alter the nets to be suitable for each necessity I am going to be accommodating for (for example any medication needs to be a secure box with a secure fastening).

Tailor twig by Eric Kass Funnel - via mr-cup.com

Tailor twig by Eric Kass Funnel - via mr-cup.com

Tailor twig by Eric Kass Funnel - via mr-cup.com

Tailor twig by Eric Kass Funnel - via mr-cup.com

Tailor twig by Eric Kass Funnel - via mr-cup.com


The wax seals used in this designs work really well with the brown and white paper. This is something I could consider however I don't think it really fits in with the theme of dogs. This is just yet another example which proves to me that the colour scheme works really well and it can be applied to any theme as long as the design is relevant.

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects


I absolutely love the simplicity of this design. Although it wouldn't work to have something like this for dog packaging I can always take inspiration from the minimalistic design and also the golden stickers and the shapes of them.

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects

7 Graphic language BEHANCE projects


This caught my eye as the design has incorporated the silhouette of a pig, this is the style of work I like and I had in mind that I would use something similar to portray the fact that my packaging is for dogs. I would do this by either using the illustration of a dog or a bone.

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker


I thought this idea was really clever as the packaging reflects the shape of the chocolate on the inside. Once again they have used black, white and brown and it works really well.

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker

Glasfurd and Walker










No comments:

Post a Comment