Monday 12 November 2012

OUGD403 - Message and delivery: Distribution

Today we were given our brief which follows on from our previous brief when we designed our posters. Using this artwork we have to produce a mail shot that distributes, disseminates and reinforces your message to an appropriate list of recipients.

I had a quick brainstorm today when the brief was being explained to us and came up with the following:

Ideas for message

Relate Sharbat Gula's story to the Afghan Girls Financial Assistance Fund.
- This could encourage people to support women or girl's in Afghanistan.

A design relating to the National Geographic.
- The price of art compared to the quality of life in Afghanistan - Focus on Sharbat Gula.

Could make a sticker/seal for each of the designs as a closure for the envelope.

Purpose of mail shot could be...

To give money to charity and therefore people should instantly be intrigued when they receive the envelope.

To make people aware of inequality in the world and how Sharbat Gula lives in a poor place in Afghanistan while she is famous all over the world and her photograph is worth a lot of money.

Further research needed to produce this work

- Facts about Sharbat Gula's life
- An image I can draw from of the outline of Afghanistan with basic landmarks
- Origami with paper and interesting paperfold techniques
- Look at other leaflets or mail shots to see how reply slips are designed
- Finally research relevant recipients

Further research on Sharbat Gula

I found this article on the National Geographic website all about Sharbat Gula's life. The two key pieces of information I found were where she was living at the time the photograph of her was taken as a child called Peshawar and where she was found living as an adult years later, in the mountains near Tora Bora.







Peshawar

I came across another article on the internet about the Afghan refugee camps in Peshawar. One paragraph in particular stood out to me.







I also did a search on google for Tora Bora to find visual research to help give me an idea of the conditions Sharbat is living in now.









Outline of Afghanistan







Origami with paper and interesting paper fold techniques

I want to see whether I can find any interesting paper art relating to maps on the internet to see whether any of them are inspirational to me. Having already got an idea in mind of what I would ideally like my mail shot to look like I think it will really help me to decide whether or not my idea is too complex and whether I need to simplify it to allow me to produce a high quality piece of work in the given time.





I found this blog and absolutely love this idea. If I could produce something along the same lines I think it would look really professional, however I don't think I could complete it to the highest quality before the deadline. Therefore I think I should maybe just concentrate on one design rather than a collection of pieces of paper with a belly band around it.





Mail shot design research

This instantly caught my attention as I think it is a fantastic way of engaging with the recipients but at the same time the design is still compact and not too bulky to send in the post. I could do something similar with my work but instead have a 3D model of her face with information on the back. This could be very time consuming though.




'Robert Hughes Limited were relocating into a prestigious new building in Windermere and needed an eye-catching way to let all their customers and associates know they were on the move. What better way than a clever little pop-up house complete with new contact details?'




I love this design by Bendita Gloria, she has managed to create something unique and edgy however it would probably be expensive to reproduce. Definitely inspirational for my mail shot brief.








Relevant recipients
 
I thought that relevant recipients for my design would be affluent people in America. This is because it is an American organisation and people who have money are more likely to donate.
 
I have found an article listing the 25 richest neighbourhoods in America and I am going to use them for my recipient/mailing list.
 
























No comments:

Post a Comment