Thursday 1 November 2012

OUGD403 - Message and delivery: Research

OUGD403 Research
Once we were given our brief I decided I would go out on the Tuesday and buy a variety of newspapers to give me a vast selection of articles to choose from. I looked through the following:

  • i - The essential daily briefing from The Independent
  • Daily Mail
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • The Times
  • Liverpool Echo
  • Daily Mirror

Bearing in mind that we were told the story shouldn't be too sinister I found it quite challenging to find an article which would be suitable and would give me enough material to work with. However, I came across one which instantly stood out to me as being ideal for this brief. I found it in the Independent and put it to one side. I decided that I would wait until my tutorial review to ensure that it was suitable and sure enough it was. So now I am able to start my extensive research.


The article I have chosen is about 240 pieces of National Geographic imagery being auctioned. In total they are expected to bring in about $3m. I am going to try and find as many of the pieces of art as possible. Some are mentioned in this article so this gives me a solid starting point.


Afgan girl during the Soviet invasion of Afganistan




Portrait of Admiral Robert Peary at his 1908 expedition to the North Pole


 Face of a Papua New Guinea aborigine
Having found all of the images mentioned in the article I found I have now decided to look online to see whether any other newspapers have delivered the same story. Once I have found more articles I will then collect any further images which are mentioned.

Yahoo! Finance


Yahoo! News




NYDailyNews.com




Mail Online









Additional images


N.C. Wyeth historical scene of sword-fighting pirates 

 


Charles Bittinger view of Earth as seen from the moon 



Charles Knight's depictions of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals

 

Porters transport a car on long poles across a stream, Nepal

This picture, entitled 'Porters transport a car on long poles across a stream, Nepal' will be include in Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration' 


Corbis Corp's 'Charles Lindbergh pays a visit to crowd in England'

Corbis Corp's 'Charles Lindbergh pays a visit to crowd in England' will feature in the collection auctioned at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration' 



 Jacques Cousteau's 'A diver swims with an octopus, whose arms measured three feet long, Mediterranean Sea'

Legendary explorere Jacques Cousteau's photo entitled 'A diver swims with an octopus, whose arms measured three feet long, Mediterranean Sea' joins others at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


Balloonists struggling to escape a doomed gondola

This image of balloonists struggling to escape a doomed gondola will be part of a collection for auction at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


People chat by a car parked by a field of oil rigs on Signal Hill, Los Angeles, California

 People chat by a car parked by a field of oil rigs on Signal Hill, Los Angeles, California, is a 1941 photograph that will also be sold at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration '


Digital inkjet print of A Nunamiut boy, Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska

This digital inkjet print of A Nunamiut boy, Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska, will expect to fetch around $3000 at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


An astonishing picture of an underwater atomic bomb test at Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands, Micronesia in 1946

An astonishing picture of an underwater atomic bomb test at Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands, Micronesia in 1946 features in Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


Seaweed divers off Shizuoka jump off their boat into the Sagami Sea, Sagami Sea, Shizuoka, Japan

Seaweed divers off Shizuoka jump off their boat into the Sagami Sea, Sagami Sea, Shizuoka, Japan is a more modestly valued image at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


A photographer processes film among ice bergs in sea water, Alaska

A photographer processes film among ice bergs in sea water, Alaska documents the photographic process and will hope to attract bids starting at around $2,500 at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


Photograph entitled, A young Kenyan woman holds her pet deer, Mombasa, Zanzibar, Kenya, Africa

This photograph entitled, A young Kenyan woman holds her pet deer, Mombasa, Zanzibar, Kenya, Africa, is one of the collection for auction at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


Iconic photograph of Edmund Hillary on Mount Everest, Nepal

The iconic photograph of Edmund Hillary on Mount Everest, Nepal joins other famous images at Christie's sale of 'The National Geographic Collection: The Art of Exploration'


Sharbat Gula

I feel that it is important for me to have as much research as possible. So far I have searched online for still images and have found several famous pieces of art which I could research even further. I decided to go on Youtube to see whether I could collect anymore information. I searched to see whether anything would come up relating to the 240 pieces of artwork being sold but nothing has yet been posted. Therefore I decided to take a more direct route and searched for the Afgan girl. I found an extremely interesting and very inspiring video, below is the link to it.






When watching this video and listening to what was said it made me really think about inequality. The photograph of her when she was a young girl is now worth so much money and yet she is living in poverty unaware of the effect this image has had on the world. I think it is astonishing just how much money goes on artwork and find it hard to justify sometimes how it can sell for so much while at the same time people are living in such poor conditions.

I also found another video by National Geographic...

I then found one with the photographer Steve McCurry talking about when he photographed Sharbat Gula...
I came across an article on National Geographic News which stated that a charity had been formed after the Afgan girl photograph to help raise money for females in Afganistan. This made me really happy to see as it makes it slightly more bearable to know that they are receiving help and the organisation still stands today.
Below is the link to the article I found...

How much are the pieces of art work worth?


According to an article online from the 22nd October the following pieces of art will be sold for the following amounts...

Oil painting by Tom Lovell of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Civil War surrender at Appomattox.
  • Expected to fetch $20,000 to $30,000.
. . . . . . . . . .

"The Duel On The Beach," a painting of two pirates by the American artist N.C. Wyeth.
  • Estimated to sell for $800,000 to $1.2 million.
. . . . . . . . . .

Another Wyeth, "James Wolfe at Quebec," was commissioned to accompany a 1949 article on the general taking Quebec from the French general the Marquis de Montcalm.
  • Pre-sale estimate of $30,000 to $50,000.
. . . . . . . . . .

Steve McCurry's photograph of the Afghan girl.
  • $8,000 to $12,000 pre-sale estimate.
. . . . . . . . . .

McCurry has made a special print of the image for the sale, and part of the proceeds from it will be donated to the Afghan Girls' Fund.

. . . . . . . . . .

Edward Curtis' 40-volume photo portfolio and book, "The North American Indian," believed to have been owned by Alexander Graham Bell.
  • Estimated at $700,000 to $900,000.
I have decided to concentrate on the image of Sharbat Gula. I am going to research the following:

  • Poverty
  • Inequality
  • Afghanistan culture
  • Afghanistan poverty
Poverty

 





Poverty in Afghanistan

 

Cost of art

$8,000 to $12,000 is the pre-sale estimate for the image of Sharbat Gula.

Below is a link to a website I found giving facts about Afghanistan which I have included in my type poster.

Facts






No comments:

Post a Comment