Wednesday 10 October 2012

OUGD403 - Alphabet Soup: Typeface

I thought it would make sense to research all or some of the answers Kirsty gave to me to find relevant images which may inspire me and give me more idea of what route to take when designing an alphabet to reflect her.

Favourite colour: Red

This image captured my attention straight away and portrays the dark side of the colour red.

Pinned Image

Red research 1


Kirsty likes the colour red as well as eating lots of fruit and fresh fruit juice.

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Being at the beach in Bournemouth

When I researched Bournemouth lots of images came up which portrayed a typical seaside setting with lots of seaside colours.

Pinned Image

Bournemouth

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Bournemouth 4



Ice cream at the beach

Living designer: Kate Moross

I think Kate Moross' work is very unique and outstanding, which is why I feel her work will be very inspirational when I start designing my alphabet. The geometric shapes would be good to work with and if I applied this throughout my designs it would give my alphabet a continuity effect. 

Pinned Image

Kate Moross 1

Pinned Image

Kate Moross 2

Pinned Image

Kate Moross 3

Pinned Image

Kate Moross 4


The following images portray Kate Moross' black and white work. This is very relevant to what I'm going to be designing to illustrate Kirsty's personality as I will be using black and white. I am very temped to make my designs very minimalistic similar to the shapes below.












I have started to think that I will maybe combine geometric shapes with imperfect, squiggly text similar to the example below. This can illustrate that Kirsty is a messy person when it comes to her work but she is also organised and neat in appearance. So in effect, on the outside she is neat and then her ideas and her way of thinking and working is a bit more spontaneous and unorganised. I could potentially show this by using a simplistic font such as Helvetica and then include my own drawings/designs/text within each letter.


Kate Moross layout



Favourite possession: Brain/Cameras

These vintage style cameras really caught my eye as the illustration is really quite impressive.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Snapshot camera


I think bold images suit Kirsty's personality as she is outgoing and talkative, so images like the one below fits in with this characteristic.

Pinned Image
Black and white drawing

Pinned Image

Linear drawing



Pinned Image
Olympus

Pinned Image

Brain


I thought this brain made up of hands was really clever and extremely creative.

Pinned Image

Brain made of hands


Superpower: Teleportation

Pinned Image

Piece of graphic design you wish you had created: Mr Bingo's work/Si Scott's work

Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Dream dinner party guest: Patsy from AB FAB

I've always loved Absolutely Fabulous as well, and I think Patsy's character is very interesting to portray. I think I could gather a lot of ideas from simply looking at these images.


Pinned Image

Absolutely Fabulous


Absolutely Fabulous with typography
Dr Frank n Furter













Most likely to live in California





 
 

Favourite animal: Monkey




The smoking monkey is quite controversial and I have seen it being done several times in the past. I think this image is very relevant. This is because her favourite animal is a monkey and she smokes.




Diet: Unhealthy



Favourite music






Traits





    LIKES
  • The finer things in life
  • Sharing
  • conviviality
  • Gentleness






    DISLIKES
  • Violence
  • Injustice
  • Brutishness
  • Being a slave to fashion



Drinks





I have started to research black and white alphabets to see if I can get any inspiration from them. 
Having done lots of development and experimentation I have decided to start to research geometric shapes and type using geometric shapes as it ties in closely with the idea that I have formed in my head which is to combine all of the shapes I have drawn so far and make a pattern out of it to form each letter.



After the power crit

Having had my crit review I now have a bit more of a focus on what exactly I need to research. I have started to look at negative space as I will be experimenting with this as soon as I am at a comfortable stage.


Negative space


I searched on Pintrest and found this example of negative space used within typography.

I particularly like the use of negative space in this logo design and feel that it has been well thought out.



This is a good example to illustrate how shapes can emerge from type. I am going to develop my designs to work in a similar way to this one.




I feel that this work by Malika Fauvre is not far from Kate Moross' style of work and I really think it works very well.
















No comments:

Post a Comment